The Gull Wing will of course bring better movement around Lowestoft, and an improved connection between the north and south of the town.
But it will also benefit the local area from an economic point of view.
By making Lowestoft easier to move around, existing businesses should benefit from an increase in trade and new businesses should be attracted to the area.
During the construction phase, as well as once the bridge is completed, the project will create new jobs, apprenticeships,
and will work with local schools.
Some of the wider benefits that the Gull Wing will bring include:
- a minimum of 10 formal apprenticeship positions working on the construction project with 8 out of the 10 posts for people from Suffolk or Norfolk
- work placements for people from local schools, colleges and in further education
- work opportunities for individuals not in education
- work opportunities for local people who are economically or socially disadvantaged
- a programme of school engagement
- opportunities for local companies to contribute to the works
We regularly monitor the wider benefits. Please see below for the latest statistics: